Musing Mondays (Feb 1)

Musing Mondays2Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a random book.

Go to your bookshelf and pick a random book. No cheating now, just reach out and pick one. Now tell us about it – where did you get it? Why? Was it a gift? Does it hold any special memories? Did someone recommend it to you? etc.

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks.

 

I was a little worried with the ‘random’ part that I’d pick out a book and I’d have nothing to say. Luckily for me, that didn’t happen. The book I picked was Charles Kingsley’s The Water Babies, a book I only read a few years ago though I knew the story.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

When my grandmother moved from her house into an over 55s village she downsized a lot of her belongings – most of which involved clearing out the boxes upon boxes she had stored away. One of these boxes held books that belonged to my father and aunt when they were young. I remember that I acquired a lot of books that day, but the only ones coming to mind is this one, naturally, and My Friend Flicker, which I also enjoyed. I love having this book on my shelves simply because it belonged to my father when he was young.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Inside it has several beautiful line-drawing illustrations. I don’t know about you, but this makes me think of books I read when I was little – Enid Blyton in particular. Reading books with these kinds of illustrations makes me want to be a kid again, curled up under the covers with my doll and a bed full of books (one in my hand, on on the bedside, and one under the pillow!).

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

On a purely aesthetic level, it has everything I love in a book – linen covers, heavy paper, beautifully aged and, of course, the wonderful old book smell! What’s not to love?

29 comments :

caite said...

Oh my, how early this week. Very early since it is still Sunday, but MY POST is up and ready.

Chèli said...

Tina at http://tutus2cents.blogspot.com/ has meme where she does this regularly. Maybe you should direct people there.

fredamans said...

Looks like a lovely and loved book!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/01/musing-monday_31.html

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Hee Hee. This is going to be interesting this week.

Here is mine

Li said...

Here's my response for this week: http://www.rulethewaves.net/blog/?p=1192

Grace said...

Lovely question! Very hard not to cheat but I landed on a good book.

Here is mine

Mark A. Swallow said...

Great question and I am traveling so didn't have access to my bookcase, but that didn't stop me. Check it out here:

http://mswallow.typepad.com/the_swallows_nest/2010/02/book-mark.html

Melody said...

I love this question!
Here's mine.

crestina said...

here's mine...

http://addlife21.blogspot.com/2010/02/chance-pick.html

Anonymous said...

Mine is here
http://vampira2468.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/quick-bites/

Ambrosia @ The Purple Booker said...

Fire & Ice Musing Monday

gautami tripathy said...

You posted about a very interesting book. Thanks!

Here is mine!

Mondays: Musings/Mailbox/Whereabouts

Nise' said...

Love the look of beloved books!

My Random Book.

Carina said...

That book looks absolutely beautiful. I have a serious soft spot for old books.

My post is here.

Michelle said...

This was a fun exercise! http://www.michellesmastermusings.com/2010/02/musing-mondays-february-1-2010.html

CMash said...

Beautiful book. My answer is here

MizB said...

Interesting MM, today! http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/musing-mondays-feb-1/

~MizB

Alayne said...

Lovely pictures, and great question! My pick is at The Crowded Leaf.

Barbara On the Bookcase said...

Great question and lovely book!
Apples and Oranges by Marie Brenner
http://blog.readinggroupchoices.com/

Thanks!

Sherrie said...

Hi Rebecca,
I have heard of Water Babies, but haven't read it. I'll have to put that one on my TBR list. Mine is posted at my place, Just Books. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Lori@Escape Between The Pages said...

Wow, you posted fast. INteresting book, never even heard of it. Looks old, perhaps valueable?

Here's Mine

Alison said...

This week's prompt was really just a reminder to re-read some books!

Dawn said...

My answer is here.

Eni said...

I am glad to learn that you read Enid Blyton as a little kid. I too read Enid Blyton as a child; an aspect that inspired me to write and publish a book on her, titled, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage (www.bbotw.com).
Stephen Isabirye

Boof (The Book Whisperer) said...

Oh I love The Waterbabies! In fact I bought a copy for my 4 year old niece for Christmas.

Mine is here.

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob said...

I picked The Naked Roommate from my shelf. To learn more click here

Matt said...

Interesting question thsi week. Mine is A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian.

My musing is up. :)

The Book Resort said...

Fun! Isn't amazing the memories books create & stir?! Lovin' it!

Here's mine:

http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2010/02/musing-mondays-on-tuesday-22-hahaha.html