“…aaaaand we’re walking.”*

virtual walking tour vickyStarting out on a walking tour is hard work I tell you. There are many things you need to consider. You need to get a map that folds up nice and little, you need a new water bottle, a good pair of sturdy shoes (did actually buy new shoes, they’re pink), an itinerary, a compass, some …

What?

It’s a VIRTUAL walking tour?

You don’t need all that stuff?

Really? You sure?

Well…

Despite my little hiccup last week, I did indeed head out on my virtual (geez, I didn’t need my pink shoes after all) walking tour and hit the first two stops along the way. MsMazzola over at State of Denmark, and Kim over at PageafterPage kindly signed up as my first two stops on the trail. They kindly opened their doors and let me visit and so I’d like to give them a big thanks right now. THANKS!

I’ve got to say that I’ve browsed over at MsMazzola’s blog before, because the fact that she’s an English teacher has me curious. I’ve only got a little over a month (and I’m not freaking, truly…) of my degree left and I figure if maybe I listen hard enough, some of her teachery-ness will rub off on me. Perhaps I should stop using words like ‘teachery-ness’.

I enjoyed reading her blog – she’s got an interesting range of book reviews (several of which making it onto my list, so thanks!) and has participated in some challenges which I’ve not heard of. I like that she talks about reading as well, rather than just reviewing or participating in memes – both wonderful things to do, of course, but I like to read people’s general opinions as well because that way I get to know people better. I particularly like that she defended her reading of chicklit - “They’re fun and damnit, I like them.” I also liked the way she had short memo-like posts about books she was currently reading/was going to read and the posts with cool book images or links to other places.

And over to Kim’s place

The thing I loved best about Kim’s blog was the way she did up her reviews. I always panic a little about the way I write mine (too long? too short? too much summary not enough opinion etc…) She has a nice clear format with an Amazon review, a solid amount of her thought on the book, cover, first sentence and some admin like challenges it falls into (which I think is a great idea btw). Very easy to read.

I was also very impressed with how bowed her shelf of cook books was. Very impressive indeed. There are also a lot of nice pictures in her posts, which it always nice. Another big plus is that she has a lot of books on her blog – I know, it’s a book blog, what do you expect, but she has links to a lot and has a lot of interesting covers and things for books she’s bought/found/heard of.

Her sidebar shows that she’s a reading challenge fiend, which I highly respect (good luck on your challenges, btw). Oh, and plus, she’s a knitter, and the world ALWAYS needs more knitters.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to congratulate Kim on her upcoming grandmother-hood. I see lots of picture books in your future.

I had a wonderful first leg of the walking tour and I highly encourage you to follow me along to visit both these lovely blogs.

* bonus points if you can tell me why this makes me laugh (without googling, be honest). In fact there will be a prize, because I like prizes… not sure what the prize will be but it will probably be something both nerdy and bookish

EDIT: Note, it's not from Dave... well... apparently it is, but it's from something else too

10 comments :

Meg@AnInBetweenPlace.us said...

Rebecca:
I was skimming titles looking for which of today's offerings from my favorite blogs to read first when I zeroed in on your title. It's from the movie "Dave" right? Ha! One of my favorites! Thanks for making me chuckle this morning.

Meg@AnInBetweenPlace.us said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Book Resort said...

Kevin Kline aka Dave. lol.

Rebecca Johnson said...

Hi, I'm so glad it made you laugh... however it's not from Dave.

I mean, okay, sure, it probably is (I've never seen it) but it's also from something else.

Something nerdier. but that's all the clues you're getting.

Serena said...

I don't know why it made you laugh, but that's ok. I wanted to drop in and say I enjoyed the first leg of the walking tour and look forward to many more.

I've added these new-to-me bloggers to my google reader and will check them out over the next few months.

The Book Resort said...

Hey, did you soak your feet. lol.

The Book Resort said...

I am getting antsy 4 the answer.

The Book Resort said...

P.S. Thank you for introducing me to some new blogs to check out.

wendy elizabeth said...

Oh I see...'and we're walking' *nods her head in understanding* (finally). Don't know where it's from except that there's a tiny lady with a red umbrella who gives tours in Rome (complete with instructions for negotiating Italian crowds) who'll thrurst that umbrella up into the air with disconcerting force and shout 'and we're walking' as she ploughs the the tourists (arms akinmbo) on to the next attraction. Taht's wher I know this phrase from but I'm sure that's not what you had in mind Becca!

Kim said...

Lovely post! Thanks for visiting and writing such nice things about my blog!!! :)
*smiles*
Kij