K1, p2 ... oops I dropped a stitch

The Friday Night Knitting Club
Kate Jacobs
424 pages; published 2007





Knit and Purl: These stitches are the fundamentals of knitting and are the basics of every garment. The knit stitch is a series of flat, vertical loops that produces a knitted fabric face and the purl stitch is its reverse. One side is smooth, the other bumpy. Knit is what you show the world; purl is the soft, nubbly underside you keep close to the skin. (177)






Walker and Daughter is a small knitting store in the heart of New York City; it stocks yarn, needles and friends.

When Georgia Walter found herself pregnant and alone, she (with the help of business-woman-come-fairy godmother Anita) turns her knitting hobby into a business, and then a way of life to support herself and her daughter Dakota.

A decade later, Georgia’s sense of control over her life starts to crumble as her daughter reaches her frustrated teens; a friend whose betrayal still sings lands back in her life; and James, her former lover suddenly reappears. None of this is what Georgia expected and she’s not quite sure how to handle it all.

But Georgia finds support and salvation in the most unexpected of places: a group of regulars who take it upon themselves to turn up in her store every week – the Friday Night Knitting Club.

Friday Night Knitting Club was our book club read for last month and it was met with mixed responses. For the most part, I enjoyed it. It was a light, quick novel and fairly predictable in places but I had anticipated that going in. Some of the characters I thought interesting – I liked Georgia, control-freak though she was – but others were underdeveloped, even superfluous to the story.

Basically, it’s not a book out to win any literary awards but if the plot interests you or you have a secret passion for knitting or cupcakes then I’d give it a go. Did I love it enough to want to own my own copy? Not really. Did I enjoy it enough to want to read the sequel? Sure did. 3.5/5







Other Reviews

2 comments :

Ladytink_534 said...

I haven't read this book yet but it seems like everyone else has lol!

Shelley said...

I just reviewed this book recently and felt much the same as you. It did make me want to knit though, and I actually made the muffin recipe at the end! Yummy, but loaded with calories.